To WSCUHSD Parents and Students,
This email contains important information about the reopening of our schools as well as a required Instructional Model Survey ENGLISH or Instructional Model Survey SPANISH for parents and students.
At their meeting on Wednesday, July 8, the WSCUHSD Board of Trustees approved a plan for reopening our schools. The plan for reopening includes:
- All students will begin school in the Distance learning model.
- During the first 4 weeks of school, the District will receive health and safety updates from the Sonoma County Public Health Officer.
- By September 8, the District will review the current health and safety guidelines established by the State and the Sonoma County Public Health Officer. If schools can safely abide by the health and safety guidelines outlined at that time, the District will begin the hybrid model of instruction as an additional instructional option for students and parents.
The Proposed Timeline
August 4 - 7:
Sites will arrange for students to
- Complete any needed registration paperwork
- Receive class schedules
- Have school photos taken
- Pick up Chromebooks - Each student will be issued their own Chromebook device for use throughout the school year.
- Pick up/drop off any other school materials
Site specific schedules and information will be sent in the coming weeks.
August 10 - 12: District, site and staff work days
August 13 & 14:
- Students will complete orientations on health and safety protocols, guidelines for technology platforms and complete or check in on their 4 year graduation plans.
- Online training will be offered to all parents on technology and learning platforms.
August 17 - 21 :
- Students will complete online learning focused on orientation to class expectations, assignments, and assessments specific to each of their classes.
- Online training will continue to be offered to all parents on technology and learning platforms
August 24 - Sept 4:
- Teachers will begin live instruction with students following the Distance Learning Schedule.
- The District will review the current health and safety guidelines established by the Sonoma County Public Health Officer. If schools can safely abide by the health and safety guidelines outlined at that time, the District will begin the hybrid model of instruction as an additional instructional option for students and parents.
Schedule Options for Students
Distance Learning Model
The Draft Plan for Reopening Schools outlines a comprehensive plan for implementing distance learning. This plan differs significantly from the distance learning model that was implemented at the end of the 19-20 school year. These changes are based on feedback from students, parents and school staff. The program is being designed to build a community of online learners and deliver rigorous online curriculum. Classroom teachers will be delivering daily live learning opportunities for all students.
Per state guidelines, Distance Learning models are required to include 240 minutes of instruction each day for comprehensive high schools and 180 minutes of instruction each day for continuation high schools.
Here is the proposed Distance Learning Schedule.
A hybrid schedule would allow for smaller groups of students to return to school for periods of time understanding that there will be changing conditions throughout the year. Online components will be carefully incorporated to meet essential standards. Possible hybrid models are limited by the current public health and safety regulations. Because the current model requires 6 feet between desks in each classroom, the number of desks is limited by the size of each classroom. This determines the number of students that can be on the campus at any one time.
The Hybrid Schedule Models outline 2 possible scenarios. Model 1 divides students into 3 groups with desks 6 feet apart. Model 2 divides students into 2 groups, with desks 4 feet apart. PLEASE NOTE: All hybrid models of instruction will require that students and staff follow all personal protective equipment guidelines, including required face coverings, temperature taking, and social distancing requirements.
To maintain an ability to move between a hybrid and distance learning model of instruction, the distance learning and hybrid models of instruction are very similar. The Wednesday distance learning day allows for cleaning and disinfecting of classrooms between cohort groups.
(Note: Laguna is proposing a 4 X 4 block model for both their hybrid and distance learning schedules. At this time, the proposal is for all Consortium classes to follow the schedules proposed by their resident school sites. More specific information on these programs will be coming in a separate communication from individual teachers and administrators)
We will also continue to offer our Independent Study program. This program is completely online, utilizing the Edmentum Courseware curriculum. Students will check in with teacher supervisors one time a week to receive feedback on their progress. Enrollment in this program is limited per Education Code guidelines.
Here is a summary of the 3 learning options:
IMPORTANT: We are asking each parent/student to complete this Instructional Model Survey ENGLISH or Instructional Model Survey SPANISH to indicate their preferred model of instruction for the first semester of the school year. We are asking parents and students to commit to this model of instruction for the full semester. The information from this survey will assist us in determining what hybrid model would work best for those students that choose to come to the school site. The assumption is that we will be moving to a hybrid option for instruction as early as September 8 should health and safety conditions allow.
Please note: The District's ability to offer a hybrid model of instruction will be subject to modification based on the guidelines issued by the State and the Sonoma County Public Health Officer.
Thank you in advance for your help and understanding. We are certainly in unprecedented times. The start of this school year will be like no other we have ever experienced before. We remain committed to providing the best learning environment for all of our students and families.
Para la versión en español de este correo electrónico por favor haga clic aquí
West Sonoma County Union High School District